9th REGIMENT CAVALRY.
Dyer's Regimental History
from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, vol. III, Regimental
by Frederick H. Dyer 
Note: HTML format added to aid digestion.--if you remove the format you
have Dyer's original text [He didn't use complete sentences].
9th REGIMENT CAVALRY.
- Organized at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Ills., and
- mustered in November 30, 1861.
- Moved from Chicago to Benton Barracks, Mo.,
- thence to Pilot Knob and to Reeve's Station on Big Black, February 16-27, 1862.
- Attached to Steele's Division, District of Southeast Missouri, to May, 1862.
- Unattached Cavalry Curtis' Army of Southwest Missouri, to July, 1862.
- District of Eastern Arkansas, Department of Missouri, to December, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd (Cavalry) Division, District Eastern Arkansas, Department of the Tennessee to January, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, 13th Army Corps, Dept. of the Tennessee, to April, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, 16th Army Corps, Department Tennessee to June, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, 16th Army Corps to August, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, 16th Army Corps to April, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, 16th Army Corps to June, 1864.
- 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, District West Tennessee, July, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee to November, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 5th Division Cavalry Corps, Military Division Mississippi to July, 1865.
- District of Alabama to October, 1865.
- Moved to Jacksonport, Ark., March, 1862, and
duty there till June.
- Action at Cotton Plant May 14.
- Village Creek May 21.
- Reconnoissance from Jacksonport toward Augusta and Des Arc May 26-29.
- Cache River Bridge May 28.
- Galloway Farm, near Jacksonport, June 2.
- Waddell's Farm, Village Creek, June 2 (Cos. "A," "C " "K," "M").
- Near Jacksonport June 12 (Detachment)
- Reconnoissance toward Augusta June 23 (Co. "F").
- March to Helena, Ark., June 26-July 14.
- Stewart's Plantation, Village Creek, June 27.
- Duty at Helena till April, 1863.
- Expedition from Helena to Moro November 5-8, 1862 (Detachment).
- Clarendon August 13.
- Marianna November I.
- Lagrange November 8.
- Expedition from Helena to Grenada, Miss., Norember 27-December 5.
- Yocknapatalfa, near Mitchell's Cross Roads, Miss., December 1.
- Oakland December 3.
- Expedition to Duvall's Bluff January 9-16, 1863.
- Moved to Memphis, thence to Germantown, Tenn., April 4-11.
- Expedition from Lagrange to Senatobia, Miss., May 21-26.
- Operations in Northwest Mississippi June 16-25.
- Near Holly Springs, Miss., June 16-17.
- Jackson, Tenn., July 13.
- Scout from Germantown July 16-20.
- Coldwater July 28.
- Expedition from Memphis to Grenada, Miss., August 12-23.
- Expedition from LaGrange to Toon's Station September 11-16.
- Operations in North Mississippi and West Tennessee against Chalmers October 4-17.
- Lockhart's Mills October 6.
- Salem October 8.
- Ingraham's Mills, near Byhalia, October 12.
- Wyatt's, Tallahatchie River, October 13.
- Operations on Memphis and Charleston R. R. November 3-5.
- Colliersville November 3.
- Moscow November 5.
- Operations on Memphis and Charleston R. R. against Lee's attack November 28-December 10.
- Saulsbury December 3.
- Wolf Bridge near Moscow, December 3-4.
- Scout from Colliersviile December 4.
- Near Colliersville December 13 (Detachment).
- Near Moscow December 27.
- Colliersville December 27-28.
- Oak Ridge January 16, 1864.
- Smith's Expedition from Colliersville to Okolona, Miss., February 11-26.
- Near Okolona February 18.
- Aberdeen February 18.
- New Albany February 18.
- West Point and New Albany February 20.
- Okolona February 21.
- Ivey's Hill, near Okolona February 22.
- Regiment veteranized March 16, 1864, and
- Veterans on furlough till April 27.
- Sturgis' Expedition into Mississippi June 1-13 (Detachment).
- Brice's, or Tishamingo Creek, near Guntown, June 10.
- Ripley June 11.
- Smith's Expedition to Tupelo July 5-21.
- About Pontotoc July 11.
- Camargo's Cross Roads, Harrisburg, July 13.
- Tupelo July 14-15.
- Old Town Creek July 15.
- Smith's Expedition to Oxford, Miss., August 1-30.
- Tallahatchie River August 7-9.
- Hurricane Creek and Oxford August 9.
- Hurricane Creek August 13-14 and 19.
- Operations in West Tennessee and Alabama against Hood, and Nashville (Tenn.) Campaign November-December.
- Expedition from Memphis to Moscow November 9-13.
- Shoal Creek November 11.
- On line of Shoal Creek November 16-20.
- Lawrenceburg November 22.
- Campbellsville November 24.
- Columbia, Duck River November 24-27.
- Mt. Carmel November 28.
- Franklin November 30.
- Battle of Nashville December 15-16.
- Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17-28.
- Brentwood and West Harpeth River December 17.
- Spring Hill December 18.
- Franklin Pike, Curtis Creek and Rutherford Creek December 19.
- Columbia December 20.
- Lynnville and Richland Creek December 24.
- Anthony's Gap, near Pulaski, December 25.
- Expedition from Eastport to Russellsville, Ala., February 19-23, 1865.
- Duty at Huntsville and Florence, Ala., Eastport, Miss., and Gravelly Springs, Ala., till June.
- Moved to Iuka, Miss., June 23, thence to Decatur, Ala., July 4.
- To Montgomery and Selma, Ala. thence to Gainesville August 20.
- Duty in District of Montgomery, Ala., till October.
- Mustered out at Selma, Ala., October 31, 1865.
Regiment lost during service
- 1 Officer and 45 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
- 6 Officers and 241 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total 293.
[9th Illinois Cavalry Home Page]
| Main Page |
About this Site |
© Copyright 1996-2007