103rd REGIMENT INFANTRY
Dyer's Regimental History
from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, vol. III, Regimental
by Frederick H. Dyer 
Note: HTML format added to aid digestion.--if you remove the format you
have Dyer's original text [He didn't use complete sentences].
103rd REGIMENT INFANTRY.
- Organized at Peoria, Ill. and
- mustered in October 2, 1862.
- Moved to Cairo, Ill., thence to Bolivar, Tenn., October 30-November 2, 1862.
- Attached to 1st Brigade, 4th Division, Right Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Department of the Tennessee; to December, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, District of Jackson, 16th Army Corps, to March, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 16th Army Corps, to July, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, 15th Army Corps, to September, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, to June, 1865.
- Grant's Central Mississippi Campaign November 2-December 31, 1862.
- Moved to LaGrange, Tenn., November 3, and duty there till November 28.
- Reconnaissance from LaGrange to Lamar, Miss., November 5.
- Wirsham Creek November 6.
- Garrison at Waterford, Miss., December 1-31.
- Moved to Jackson, Tenn., December 31, and duty there till March 10, 1863.
- Moved to LaGrange, Tenn., March 10, 1863, and duty there till June 5.
- Expedition to Holly Springs and Waterford, Miss., and Colliersville, Tenn., April 17-26.
- Moved to Memphis, Tenn., June 5-6;
- thence to Vicksburg, Miss., June 8-13.
- Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., June 14-July 4.
- Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10.
- Birdsong Ferry, Big Black River, July 4-6.
- Siege of Jackson July 10-17.
- At Big Black River till September 28.
- Moved to Memphis, Tenn., thence march to Chattanooga, Tenn., September 28-November 23.
- 0perations on Memphis & Charleston R. R. in Alabama October 20-29.
- Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27.
- Tunnel Hill November 24-25.
- Mission Ridge November 26.
- Pursuit to Graysville November 26-27.
- March to relief of Knoxville and return to Bridgeport, Ala., November 28-December 19.
- Moved to Stevenson, Ala., December 24,
- thence to Scottsboro, Ala. December 26-28, and duty there till February 8, 1864.
- Moved to Cleveland, Tenn., February 8-14.
- Demonstration on Dalton, Ga., February 22-27.
- Tunnel Hill, Buzzard s Roost Gap and Rocky Faced Ridge February 23-26.
- At Cleveland till May.
- Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May to September.
- Demonstrations on Resaca May 8-13.
- Battle of Resaca May 14-15.
- Advance on Dallas May 18-25.
- Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas,
New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 26-June 5.
- Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2.
- Brush Mountain June 15.
- Assault on Kenesaw June 27.
- Nickajack Creek July 2-5.
- Ruff's Mills July 4.
- Chattahoochie River July 6-17.
- Battle of Atlanta July 22.
- Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.
- Ezra Chapel, Hood's second sortie, July 28.
- Flank movement on Jonesboro August 26-30.
- Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1.
- Lovejoy Station September 2-6.
- Operations against Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama September 29-November 3.
- March to the sea November 16-December 10.
- Griswoldsville November 22.
- Ogeechee River December 7-9.
- Siege of Savannah December 10-21.
- Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865.
- Reconnoissance to Salkehatchie River, S. C., January 25.
- Combahee River January 28.
- Salkehatchie Swamps February 2-6.
- South Edisto River February 9.
- North Edisto River February 12-13.
- Conger Creek February 15.
- Columbia February 16-17.
- Battle of Bentonville N. C., March 20-21.
- Mill Creek March 22.
- Occupation of Goldsboro March 24.
- Advance on Raleigh April 9-13.
- Occupation of Raleigh April 14.
- Bennett's House April 26.
- Surrender of Johnston and his army.
- March to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 19.
- Grand Review May 24.
- Moved to Louisville, Ky., June 2-4.
- Mustered out June 14 and discharged at Chicago, Ill., July 9,1865.
Regiment lost during service
- 8 Officers and 87 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
- 1 Officer and 163 Enlisted men by disease.
- Total 249.
[103rd Illinois Infantry Home Page]
| Main Page |
About this Site |
© Copyright 1996-2007